Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I Drive –Castle in The Sky





I Drive (Superstar) –Castle in The Sky/Coming on Home –BN 45-114 (1974 Spain)

I Drive were an Altringham based band who took a trip to Germany and ending up staying there when their van broke down! As I Drive they had a collectable LP released on Metronome in 1972, then for some reason two band members  relocated to Spain where this fine single was recorded and released. Castle in The Sky has a bit of everything, but somehow doesn’t lose its sense of direction. It has a firm identity and features great playing with ample riffage. Of particular note is the lead guitar sound which has a nice slapback delaywhich really comes into its own over the two sides. Castle in The Sky is probably the stand out part Hard Rock, Glam (you can just about hear the eye make-up) with a sprinkling of not too invasive prog. Coming on Home is a sturdy T. Rex type rocker again featuring fine guitar and some Move-like bass lines.
Read the story here http://www.city-erlangen.de/graham/drive.htm

Hear a full version of Castle in The Sky



Hear a full version of Coming on Home

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I love I Drive and have been wanting to hear this for years. Thank you! Hal (Los Angeles)

Anonymous said...

WOW! they always say that the sins of your youth will come back to bite you in the ass.
This is Les Graham here, the bass player on these recordings. I was convinced that they were gone for ever.
Robin, where the heck did you ever find this?
Good job well done, keep up the good work.

Les

Robin Wills said...

Hi Les
Glad I could help you get haunted. Like many singles I find, this one was picked up form a Spanish dealer at a record fair in Holland