Saturday, July 24, 2010

Johnny Dick -The Warrior



Johnny Dick –The Warrior/ She Was My Babe –Albert Productions AP-10949 (1975 Aus)

Johnny Dick
seems to have sat on many a rotating drum stool, having drummed with the Billy Thorpe’s Aztecs, the La De Da's and Stevie Wright among others. Check his bio above.
The Warrior was JD’s first and seemingly only solo outing. Produced by the mighty Vanda & Young team, The Warrior is a fine entry in the unrepentant, un-PC Red Skin Gimmick Glam sub-genre. More convincing than Adam and The Ants, once it gets going the chorus just rips. Oooh-Ah-Oooh-Oooh-Ah! (words of wisdom indeed...) Johnny Dick certainly raises my tepee!
More obscure Vanda & Young coming soon. Thanks to Luke of
http://wallabybeat.blogspot.com/ for turning me on to this corker (check out the Sparkle and Beaut singles!)

Hear a full version of The Warrior





7 comments:

Proudfoot Sound said...

GREAT SINGLE!!!

OZZIE MUSIC MAN said...

Great song I must say I have never heard this before I did know about it but never got to hear it. Johnny Dick is a great drummer. I don't suppose you have the B side? Again thanks mate love it :)

Collin said...

XIT NO LIKE!
BAD MEDICINE!

Robin Wills said...

The B side is slow blues, at its best you could it's like a less sleezy "She's Got The Jack", but I am being kind...

kami said...

love this song - ive got the single and i remember seeing him perform on countdown! a mate told me years later that johnny was managing bands as well (?) i think TMG were one of them...

Anonymous said...

One swallow does not make a summer.

Peter said...

Absolutely brilliant! Big thanks for this!

I wish this was still available, or released digitally.

Does anybody know what lineup recorded this one?