Sunday, September 24, 2006

Lemming –Father John


Lemming –Father John/Crazy Again –Polydor 205039 (1974 German Issue)

Father John is the only Glam tune I know that’s dedicated to a Monk, but please correct me if I’m wrong! Opening with monk chants, the track chugs along in fine fashion as we learn that the subject’s relationship has hit rock bottom
I have been possessed,
She makes me depressed
Father John is the only man that can deliver me from you…

Where others may go for the bottle or slide into heroin addiction, you must admire our young hero’s resourcefulness to get out of his predicament.


The chorus is gloriously simple:
Father John, the monk from St. Paul’s monastery
Deliver me from you

I can't help thinking of The Tages (Great Swedish band who created some marvellous pop/psych ditties) or even an extremely silly Easybeats. A lead break sprouts out of nowhere in pure Freakbeat fashion and the monk chants also make a return.

A weird, wonderful and quirky single.

Click below for soundclip

No comments: