Saturday, March 29, 2008

Jeff Britton & The Spitfires –Rub Out


Jeff Britton & The Spitfires –Rub Out/Breakwood –Decca F13643 (1976 UK)

An interesting Martin Rushent production here…Both tracks are instrumentals, with Rub Out sounding like a Glammed up Prog Dancer stealing its "tune" from John Carpenter’s Assault On Precinct13. This is pretty likely as that movie was very popular as midnight showings at the time. The flanged drums and repetitive motif should prove popular for those into sampling…Breakwood is slightly more funky, but is swamped in Hammond with a cool tribal "Let There Be Drums" break…Is Jeff Britton in fact Geoff Britton who drummed with The Wild Angels and went to play with Wings?


Click on title for an edit of Rub Out and Breakwood

3 comments:

Mark said...

Just found your page doing a search for info on Billy Hamon's "Butch Things" - how did this blog escape me for so long?!? Needless to say, I don't know whether to curse you for extending my want list to extreme proportions or praise you for opening up countless new avenues to seek out. ahhh, PRAISE it is!! Fantastic blog!

And, oh yeah, these Jeff Britton snippets are a hoot - the b-side sounds like a cool opening theme song for a 70's TV show about roller skating. The a-side is almost proto-new-jack-swing, ain't it? (HA!) Either way, I must own this 45 - my wallet is already feeling the pinch of your blog.

Anonymous said...

A couple of years ago I found a copy of this in Toronto and bought it without listening, I was more than pleasantly pleased with it as cool Music Library type stuff is just about my favorite.

Anonymous said...

A couple of years ago I found a copy of this in Toronto and bought it without listening, I was more than pleasantly pleased with it as cool Music Library type stuff is just about my favorite.