Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Pelican Peace Band –Take it off


Pelican Peace Band –Take it off/ Glory Road -Heads Up Production ‎– WS-101 (1973 US)

Power trio featuring Steve Dykmann, Danny Silvester and Kent Huss. Take it off is a hot hot example of killer US  Proto Punk supremely loud and heavy, oozing attitude and featuring some ripping blistering lead breaks. From Des Moines (Iowa) the band later evolved into Sky Dancer over time following different line up changes. The Chicken House credit may provide a direct link to those other Iowa legends Westminst'r. Brutal, Rockin’ and Totally Essential!


Note: Purepop may be changing. Blogs have to move with the times with many people now accessing the site through phones and tablets, so posting the sound clips on Youtube may be the way to go. So I have started my channel, let’s see how it works, feedback most welcome here or on Youtube itself


Hear a full version of Take it Off



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wwhhooaa - hot sh*t, man!

Anonymous said...

Moving the tunes to YT seems like a good move. Just hope you keep the write-ups.

Anonymous said...

What Anonymous 1 said.

Steve

itsallpop said...

I saw them many times in Omaha - always loud and always good. One infamous evening - to a group of stoned hippies - they came out and opened with Hanky Panky and did sixties band unison steps . Then onward with their heavy sounds. I had a wonderful knowing smile on my face the entire time - no doubt.

Anonymous said...

The band on the 45 at that time was Kent Huss Lead Guitar Tim Tyler Vocals Randy Zirbel Bass and Backing Vocals Jim Priefert Guitar And Ron Hill Drums we recorded this 45

Robin Wills said...

Suck a killer 45 thanks for commenting. Are any of you sitting on any copies of this 45? I know people would pay a good deal to secure copies. If you want you can contact me on email (my email is on my profile page) thanks Robin

Anonymous said...

Steve Dykmann went by the name "Dickie" instead of Steve back then. He is the blond on the far right in the photo. He was the guitarist and lead singer for Pelican Peace Band, but this is definitely not him on vocals. After "Pelican Peace Band" he formed "Dancer." I joined them at that time as a second guitarist. I was the youngest guy in the band. After I left they changed the name to "Sky Dancer." His wife was Debbie Dykmann (not sure if that is the correct spelling). We practiced in their small farmhouse on the outskirts of Indianola, Iowa. Loud. For "Dancer" he had jettisoned Zeke (bass) and Danny (drummer), and I gathered they had had some conflicts. But they got back together again as "Sky Dancer." Dickie was a fair songwriter. He wrote stuff that is superior to this item, musically. He also had a good bluesy voice. If I ever find the tracks I used to have (somewhere or other), I will post them. The studio recording of his "This Is Love" is excellent. Really one of those guys who has ALMOST disappeared from history. Back then he always played a gold Les Paul. He was a real nice, good-humored guy. I enjoyed knowing him.

Ron J Gilbert said...

I used to see the Pelican Peace band regularly at a bar in the Drake University area called Mother's. I was around 18 when I heard this band play an Alice Cooper song called appropriately 'I'm 18', which had much significance to me, bcuz I didn't know what the Hell I wanted to do with my life, just like the lyrics to the song. But the song I loved best from the PPB was their cover of Deep Purple's song Smoke on the Water. Although this wasn't a song to dance to, for the first time in my life, a girl asked me to dance.