Sunday, June 04, 2006

A little shopping trip...

Saturday was a real scorcher, the sky was blue, Eng-er-land beat Jamaica 6-0, the Epsom derby was in full swing in the sweltering heat and I spent 5 hours rummaging through piles of singles in a record shop in Addlestone (off Jct 11 off the M25). The shop is called Archive Records and it's a pretty amazing place, there is just so much stuff (10s of thousands of singles, albums, 78's etc... The shop is kept in glorious chaotic order, with piles of unsorted stuff as well as the most stringently alphabetisised boxes you will ever see. If you follow the link http://www.archiverecords.co.uk/ -the Website has downloadable spreadsheets of part of the stock, but there is much more to find on the premises. Prices are sometimes over-inflated and there seems to be a blanket pricing policy on most of the singles I was looking at (£ 2-£4), but the experience is just amazing if you have the stamina!
This is a list of some of the stuff I found during 2 visits to the shop:
First Class -Beach Baby (Sunny Records), Smiffy -See You Later (Antic), Alvin's Heart-Beats -Chilli Willi( Magnet), Sisters -Kick Your Boots Off (Bell), Snapp -Cheat Cheat (Cube), Crunch -Let's Do It Again (YoungBlood), Roky Erickson -Bermuda (Virgin), Tartan Horde -Bay City Rollers We Love You (UA), Beano - Little Cinderella (Deram), Rossal -It's No Use Telling Me No (20th Century), Angel -Good Time Fanny (Cube), Granny -Lady (DJM), Balls (Trevor Burton) -Fight For Your Country (Wizard), Andy Kim -Be My Baby (Paramount)

You will need several hours to go through the stuff and Addlestone has very little else to offer (apart from the UK's 2nd oldest Oak tree???) - There was nowhere decent to eat -so beware!


Coming up soon -A Vanda & Young special

5 comments:

Colonel Apeshit said...

All very good, but tell me more about your love of cheeses of the world. I like anything with a deep blue vein running through it. Yumm yumm yumm. When it gets hot, it goes all stringy and one can't but help making a terrible mess of the gooey stuff all over one's chin. But let me get one thing clear - crackers are for tossers. All one needs is a nice piece of cheese, a glass of wine and, perhaps, some slices of apple or a few grapes. I hear some bohemians are into pickled walnuts and what not, though I venture that's a step too far for a young, working class Welsh ruffian as myself. In fact there is only one type of cheese that I do not like. Can you guess what it is? The last thing I would do is to tell an artiste what to do - no muse I! But a song about cheese would surely go straight to the top of the hitparade. Cheese has so, so, so many fans that its followers would surely buy an anthem that does its milky, oozy, yummery loveliness justice. I know I would personally go out and buy 2,000 copies of the cd, as I would remortgage my flat to procure the funds to do so.

Col. DairyLea (Ret)

Purepop said...

All very good Colonel, but a cheese fondue 1/2 Vacherin +1/2 Gruyere with Kirsh and a nice bottle of Fendant will have you clapping your hands and stomping your feet if you can ever drag yourself from promoting the careers of nitwits like Will Young...

Colonel Apeshit said...

Putting cheese into a fondue is like cutting up a Monet to use as a colour scheme to shop at Ikea for a set of curtains. When will you so called rock stars understand? As Bob Dylan once sang, "Let the cheese be pure - let it be" or something mumbled to that effect anyway. You punks make me mad with your laissez faire attitudes. How would you like it if I took one of your Top 20 hit singles and had it remixed by the Belgian retard that put a trance beat on Bryan Adams's Summer of 69? Yes, now the shoe is on the other foot, less funny it seems. Am I right or am I wrong? I fully appreciate your need as an artist to appear on the edge, but desecrating the purity of the solid lactate is really beyond the pale. It's literally beyond the pale as well, but don't worry about that. Out of the bosom, onto the plate, into the mouth (or thereabouts). Yumm, cheeeeeeeesse. Sometimes I take the little rubbers off the mini portions of babybels and carve them into a little fez and then I walk around, munching cheese, alternating between impressions of Tommy Cooper and the man I can't remember from The Maltese Falcon. Then I turn off my camcorder and press more cheese into my dribbling gob. Be warned, Wills. I am watching you.

Green Hippo said...

That shop in Addlestone is amazing. Have found some great stuff there. Really like your site and now have another dozen or so singles to add to my wants list.
See you have recently added Two Wheels by Firebird. Love it. Found it in a now defunct shop in Hastings. Couple of weeks ago found the Birds first single in a charity shop in Tooting. My find of a lifetime. Been well played but doesn't have one crackle.

Purepop said...

Hi G. Hippo. That's what the site is all about!
All the best
Robin